Sunday, January 16, 2011

The harvest of the archive

I have been researching the Open University audiovisual archive for background material to be used on the digital film schools project, T156. The Open University has an audiovisual archive that spans its history, over 40 years. With this in mind I started a search. I wanted to find some film archive that was focused on the processes involved in film making. I would to hear from the production team, actors or crew. Using the OU/BBC database I soon focused in on two programmes.

The first and most inviting is called 'Cast and Crew'. This sounds absolutely ideal and on closer inspection I found that it was specially created for The Open University. In these programmes we hear perspectives and debate from the production team. The format is that of a studio based discussion between the cast and production team. A behind the scenes perspective for the following iconic 20th Century films.


The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner

Saturday Night, Sunday Morning

My Beautiful Laundrette


The second is called the Joyride. We follow a Scottish production team through the process of creating their film. We follow the members of the production team through the process of creating a scene and the difficulties they encounter such as negotiating costs and dealing with authorities to get various permissions.


Now I have identified the archive it is now a matter of working with the intellectual property (rights). We will treat the footage to remove and third party rights costs.


All programmes are stored in the archive on Digital Beta-cam. I will need to remix the audio track to remove any music.

No comments:

Post a Comment